Location, Travel, Venue and Tourism
WikiSym + OpenSym 2013 (WS+OS) will take place in Hong Kong, China, on Aug 5-7, 2013.
WS+OS will take place at Cyberport, a Hong Kong government owned facility for high-tech companies and events. Cyberport has several facilities, we will be at Cyberport 3. Their website has some additional information on getting to Cyberport.
TRAVEL AND (NO) VISA
Hong Kong is a major airline hub and served well and cheaply from around the world. Hong Kong has an efficient public transport network as well as an abundance of readily available taxis.
Visitors from most countries won't need a visa, as the Hong Kong government has visa waiver agreements with most countries. However, please make sure yourself well in advance of attending the conference that you meet Hong Kong's visa requirements. (Please note that visa requirements for mainland China are different, and for entry into the P.R.C. you will likely need a visa.)
HOTELS AND ACCOMODATION
The main conference hotel is:
- Le Meridien Cyberport, a 5 star hotel. Rates start at 200 USD, but better rates can be found through online booking sites.
It is low season in Hong Kong, and there are many other options for all budgets.
Recommended other options for all budgets (these are all less than 10 min from the venue):
- T-Hotel, close to Cyberport, around 145 USD incl tax breakfast and wifi. This is a small hotel with 30 rooms only and a bit special since it is a training hotel. Around 10-15 min walk to the conference venue.
- L’hotel Island South, starting from around 100 USD + tax, has free shuttle bus to Cyberport in the morning.
- Caritas Oswald Cheung International House, starting from around 100 USD + tax, breakfast included.
- Bridal Tea House Aberdeen budget hotel, starting from 60 USD + tax, free wifi.
More and cheaper options are in Aberdeen, the southern district of Hong Kong Island.
Since the Cyberport is not in downtown Hong Kong, please make sure you book a hotel with good public transport connection to the Cyberport if you book hotels other than the listed ones.
TOURISM AND EXCURSIONS
We are a maintaining a page with information about what to do before and after the conference and how to meet up with other WS+OS people.