Círculo de Bellas Artes de Madrid
OpenSym 2020 will be held at the beautiful Círculo de Bellas Artes de Madrid (Calle de Alcalá, 42), a cultural center located in the heart of the city’s historic center where young Picasso attended as a pupil to his painting classes. The entrance to the Círculo de Bellas Artes is through the Calle de Marqués de Riera side street.
The activities of the main conference will take place in the fourth floor. In particular:
Plenary sessions will take place in the fantastic Sala de Columnas, while parallel sessions will be in the Sala Antonio Palacios.
From the airport
The local airport, Madrid-Barajas, has direct connections to major European and other hubs. From there to the venue, you have several options:
- Express bus: There is an express bus departing every 15-20 minutes that takes you for 5€ from the airport to Atocha, with only three stops. You should get off in Plaza de Cibeles after around 35 minutes, which is 300 meters away from the venue.
- Metro: The metro costs 4.5 euro (single ticket) and departs every 5-10 minutes. Travel time is around 45 minutes and you will have to change twice to get to the venue. The closest stop is Banco de España in line 2 (red). Having a Metro Map (PDF) of the whole Madrid Metro network is usually very convenient (they can also be obtained on paper in almost any metro station)
- Taxi: This is the more expensive option; cost is 30 euro (flat rate price, including luggage). It takes 20-30 minutes from the airport (depending on rush hour); credit cards are accepted in all taxis.
- Uber and Cabify are available in Madrid.
-The Metro de Madrid is fast, safe and tidy. Banco de España (at the Plaza de Cibeles), the nearest stop, is served by metro line 2 (red). Having a Metro Map (PDF) of the whole Madrid Metro network is usually very convenient (they can also be obtained on paper in almost any metro station). A Tourist Version of the Metro Map (PDF) is available as well. If you do not stay close to the conference venue, it may be interesting to buy a 10-ride ticket. See Season tickets and discounted fares.
-Bus stops (and bus lines) nearby:
- Bus stop at Alcalá, 44: lines 5, 9, 51, 52, and 53
- Bus stop at Alcalá 39: lines 1, 2, 46, 74, 146, and M2
- Bus stop at Plaza de Cibeles: lines 14, 15, 20, 27, 34, 37, 45, 150, 203 (express bus to the airport), and all night buses